Family Escapes Yankton House Fire

Family Escapes Yankton House Fire

The Yankton Fire Department battled a house fire late Monday night.

Yankton Assistant Fire Chief Larry Nickels says that firefighters were called to a report of a structure fire in the 500 block of East 19th Street just after 10:00 PM Monday evening.

When firefighters arrived on scene, they found smoke coming from the upper level of the home, and firefighters worked for about three hours to make sure the fire was extinguished due to some unique attributes of the home.

Nickels says that there were two children sleeping on the upper level of the home where the fire originated, and they were alerted to the fire thanks to working smoke detectors.

He says thanks to the smoke detectors, everyone made it out of the home safely.

The fire at this time is believed to have been caused by an electrical malfunction.

Assisting the Yankton Fire Department Monday night was the Yankton Police Department, Yankton EMS, and officials from the Yankton Emergency Management Office.