The Yankton Fire Department quickly extinguished a deck fire Monday afternoon.
According to Yankton Deputy Fire Chief Larry Nickles, crews were called to 411 Cedar Street after receiving a report of a deck on fire. He says part of the deck and the air conditioner was ruined. Nobody was home at the time of the fire.
The fire was caused by an open burn pit on top of a wooden deck. Nickles reminds residents to never leave a wooden burn pit on top of a wooden deck as embers in a burn pit can stay hot for many hours. Burn pit embers can reignite several hours later, as per the case in this situation.