A pair of Mount Marty Lancers have earned All-American track and field honors, as Seth Wiebelhaus and Mason Schleis were both awarded following top-10 finishes in the men’s decathlon at the NAIA Outdoor Championships.
Wiebelhaus finished 5th overall, boosted by a victory in the 1500 and a 2nd place finish in the 110 hurdles. Schleis took home a 7th place finish in the event, as he tallied 6,526 points, and had the 4th best mark in the pole vault. Also for the Lancers, Calli Davis finished second in her heat of the women’s 400, earning herself a spot in the finals. Davis, alongside Tianna Bumbaca-Kuhl, Alexis Even and Elianna Clark finished 13th in the 1600 relay prelims, while Donavan Breckenridge finished 16th in the men’s 400 prelims.
The NAIA Championships will conclude today, beginning at 12:00 PM.
The Yankton Bucks and Gazelles track and field teams both sit in the top-5 following day one of the South Dakota High School Track and Field State Championships.
The Gazelles are 5th overall in team scoring at 16 points, as they were led by a pair of third place finishes in the 1600 medley and the 3200 meter relay. Shae Rumsey, Alivia Dimmer, Burkely Olsen, and Sydnee Serck made up the medley team, while the 3200 relay was also run by Serck and Rumsey, alongside Claire Tereshinski and Thea Chance.
The Bucks are 4th in the team standings with 15 points. Austin Gobel led the way with a 2nd place finish in the long jump, while also qualifying for the 100 meter finals on Saturday. Cody Oswald also earned a spot in Saturday’s finals, as he won his heat, and posted the 4th fastest overall time in the 110 meter hurdles. Elsewhere for the Bucks and Gazelles:
– Carson Conway, Oliver Dooley, Nate Schoenfelder and Dylan Payer were 4th in the boys 3200 relay.
– Evan Serck, Gavin Swanson, Rugby Ryken and Nate Schoenfelder got 7th in the boys 1600 medley.
– Evan Serck, Cody Oswald, Gavin Swanson and Rugby Ryken were 11th in the boys 400 relay prelims.
– Cale Haselhorst was 12th in the boys 110 hurdles.
– Lance Dannenbring was 15th in the boys javelin.
– Tierney Faulk finished 5th in the girls long jump.
– Keira Christ was 11th in the girls 100 hurdle prelims, while Tierney Faulk tied for 14th and Alivia Dimmer was 16th.
– Iyana Becker, Izzy Thiesse, September Rauch and Charleigh Madsen finished 14th in the girls 400 relay prelims.
– Burkely Olson was 18th in the long jump.
Day two of the State Championships at Howard Wood Field begin at 9:00 AM this morning.
Yankton Gazelles Golf have an invitational in Brookings at 9:00 AM this morning. The event will be held at Brookings Country Club.
South Central Baseball League results from last night:
– Wynot defeated Tabor 10 to 6.
Local High School State Track Results:
– Lila Vanderlei was fifth in the girls shot put.
– Avon are tied for 18th in the class B girls standings, and have yet to record a score in the boys standings.
– Landon Bares, Easton Mudder, Riley Rothschadl, and Isaac Crownover finished 7th in the boys 400 relay to qualify for the finals.
– Stacy Ruelas-Gilbert was 18th in the girls 100 hurdles prelims.
– Bon Homme’s boys and girls teams have yet to record a point in the event.
– Emily Nowak took 5th in the girls pole vault
– Taylor Hoxeng was 14th in the girls 100 prelims.
– Gayville-Volin are tied for 18th in the class B girls standings, and have yet to record a point on the boys side.
– Ashlie Hansen, Torie DuBois, Emma Marshall and Brenna Lyngstad were 4th in the girls medley relay.
– Dashel Spurrell finished 12th in the boys 110 hurdles prelims.
– Hailey Orr was 24th in the girls shot put.
– Irene-Wakonda are 21st in the Class B girls standings, while the boys team have yet to record a point.
– Trinity Bietz won the girls shot put with a throw of 39 feet, 1 and 1 half inches.
– Olivia Binde was 10th in the girls pole vault.
– Dawson Hlavac finished 18th in the boys pole vault.
– Scotland are 5th in the class B girls standings, while the boys team have yet to record a point.
– Taeli Barta, Callie Radigan, Jenaya Cleveland, and Lydia Anderson were 3rd in the girls 3200 meter relay.
– Jaymes Drake, Marasia Warren, Jenaya Cleveland, and Taeli Barta were 8th in the girls sprint medley.
– Jaymes Drake, Josie Askew, Grace Chaussee, Marasia Warren advanced to the girls 400 relay finals.
– Henry Anderson, Kade Reuvers, Hunter Morse, and Jack Freeburg were 8th in the boys 3200 relay.
– Vermillion is 8th in Class A on the girls side, and 22nd on the boys side in the team standings.