- The Yankton Bucks are back in the win column after a road 38-27 road victory Friday night over Brookings at Dana J Dykhouse Stadium. Rugby Ryken led the way offensively for Yankton, running for two, and tossing three touchdowns, one to Cody Oswald, and the other two found the hands of Tyler Sohler. Yankton’s defense also had two takeaways, an interception by both Lucas Kampshoff and Mac Ryken. Yankton (4-2) now will play Class 11AAA Sioux Falls Roosevelt on Saturday evening at Howard Wood Field in Sioux Falls. You can catch the action live on KYNT and KYNTV with Bryce Ladwig and Josh Boelter, pregame 5pm, kickoff 6pm.
With his 61 yards receiving in the game, Tyler Sohler surpassed JJ Hejna (Hay-nuh) as #2 in the YHS All-Time Receiving Yards List. He is now 150 yards short of Rex Ryken, who holds top billing in the YHS record books with 1,832 career receiving yards.
AREA and 11AA PREP SCORES
Freeman/Marion/Freeman Academy 44, Gayville-Volin 32
Bon Homme 62, Chester Area 7
Chamberlain 25, Vermillion 14
Tea Area 57, Sturgis 7
Pierre 43, Brandon Valley 34
Huron 32, Douglas 14
Spearfish 26, Mitchell 21
Aberdeen Central 17, Watertown 0
Cedar Catholic 42, West Holt 0
Hartington-Newcastle 37, TCNE (Tri County Northeast) 8
Crofton 82, Homer 19
Bloomfield 56, Creighton 12
Wynot 47, Wausa 6
- The (1-3) USD Coyotes Football program had a bye-week over the weekend but will now ramp up for the “South Dakota Showdown” versus the (4-1) South Dakota State Jackrabbits in Brookings this Saturday at 2pm.
- The Huskers football program earned their second victory of the season Saturday night, their first since the firing of Scott Frost as head coach two weeks ago, by defeating Big10 Conference foe Indiana 35-21. The Huskers are now 2-3 on the season and will prepare for a road matchup versus Rutgers Friday night at 6pm.
- It was the battle for the “Key to the City” in Sioux Falls Saturday, as the University of Sioux Falls retained the key shaped trophy by defeating rival Augustana 31-24. USF is now 8-2 all time in the rivalry series.
- Yankton finished 7th in Cheer and 4th in Dance at the Sioux Falls Roosevelt Competitive Dance and Cheer Invitational Saturday afternoon. Cheer scored a 202.5, while O’Gorman took the team title with a 269 score. In Competitive Dance, Yankton scored a 251.5, while Brandon Valley took the team victory with a 282.25 score. Yankton now prepares to travel to Brandon Valley for another invitational tomorrow, beginning at 5pm.
- Yankton Bucks Golf begins their Class AA State Tournament today at Mitchell’s Lake View Golf Course. Start time is set for 9am, with the Bucks set to tee-off around 10am. The State Tournament runs through tomorrow.
- The (3-11) Yankton Gazelles host Class A (14-4) Sioux Falls Christian tonight for an inter-class varsity volleyball matchup at the Summit Activities Center. You can catch the action LIVE on KYNT and KYNTV with Bryce Ladwig, pregame coverage begins at 630pm, first serve 7pm.
- The matchups are set, and the Bucks and Gazelles are geared up for playoff soccer. The 9th seeded (7-4-3) Yankton Bucks are at 8th seeded (7-4-2) Spearfish, while the 16th seeded (2-11-1) Gazelles look to upset the 1st seeded (12-1-1). Both games are tomorrow evening, with the start time for the Gazelles set for 7pm CT, and the Bucks time TBD.