- The Yankton Bucks improved to 3-0 after a 41-7 victory over Watertown Friday night in Class 11AA Varsity Football. Rugby Ryken led the Bucks offensive attack with three passing touchdowns, two rushing touchdowns and 266 total yards offense. Gavin Swanson added 161 yards rushing and a receiving touchdown.
Tyler Sohler added 106 receiving yards, Austin Gobel had a rushing touchdown, and Cody Oswald had a receiving touchdown to go along with a defensive interception. Yankton now prepares for their toughest opponent of the season this Friday, as they travel to 5x Class 11AA State Champion Pierre, who is coming off a dominant 50-6 victory over Mitchell this past Saturday evening. You can catch the action live on KYNT and KYNTV with Bryce Ladwig and Josh Boelter, pregame coverage begins at 6pm, kickoff at 7.
HIGH SCHOOL PREP SCORES
Yankton 41, Watertown 7
Tea Area 44, O’Gorman 41
Spearfish 36, Douglas 8
Brookings 24, Huron 2
Pierre 50, Mitchell 6
Sturgis 18, Aberdeen 13
Bon Homme 20, Viborg-Hurley 0
Avon 28, Gayville-Volin 0
Vermillion 22, Milbank 16
Elkhorn Valley 28, Hartington-Newcastle 18
Hartington-Cedar Catholic 35, Yutan 6
Neligh-Oakdale 36, Crofton 18
- The Gazelles earned two swift victories in a varsity tennis triangular Saturday in Sioux Falls. Yankton defeated Aberdeen-Roncalli 9-0, and Sioux Falls Roosevelt 9-0. The Gazelles, now (12-5) on the season, prepare for another varsity triangular in Sioux Falls tomorrow, competing against Mitchell and the host team, Sioux Falls Lincoln. First serve is set for 11am.
- Yankton’s Dylan Payer secured the boy’s individual title at the Lynx Cross Country Invitational Saturday afternoon in Brandon, finishing with a 16:44.23 time. The best time for the Gazelles came from Thea Chance with a 21:10.47 time. Brandon Valley took the team title by a 38-32 score. Yankton Cross Country now rests up for their next competition this Friday, as they travel to Norfolk Skyview Lake in Norfolk. Competition begins at 10am.
- Yankton Bucks Golf is back in action today, fresh off their 4th place finish in their home invitational Friday morning. The Bucks are at Brookings Country Club for a varsity invitational, first swings scheduled for 10am.
- The Yankton Gazelles (1-7-1) and Bucks (4-3-2) Soccer squads look to re-enter the win column tomorrow as they host Huron at Crane-Youngworth Field. You can catch the action live on KYNT and KYNTV with Josh Boelter and Brayden Butler, pregame coverage begins at 330pm, prior to the Gazelles matchup.
- Scott Frost has been released of his head coaching duties with the Nebraska Cornhuskers Football Program, with the official statement being released yesterday afternoon. The move comes off the heels of a 45-42 home loss to Georgia Southern Saturday night, and a 1-2 start to the season. Frost compiled a 16-31 overall record as head coach of the Huskers in four plus seasons. Mickey Joseph, a member of the Frost coaching staff, has been elevated as the interim head coach of the program. Nebraska now prepares to host #6 Oklahoma Saturday at 11am. You can listen live to the action on your country home for the Huskers, FM 93.1. Pregame coverage begins at 7am.
- The USD Coyotes Football team are now 0-2 this season, dropping a 24-7 road contest versus Montana Saturday afternoon. The Coyotes try to right the ship Saturday in their home opener vs Cal Poly at the Dakota Dome. Kickoff begins at 1pm.
- The Kansas City Chiefs rolled by the Arizona Cardinals on the road yesterday 44-21. Patrick Mahomes threw for 360 yards and five touchdowns. The (1-0) Chiefs now host the (1-0) Los Angeles Chargers Thursday night. You can catch the action live on your home for Chiefs Football, KYNT. Pregame coverage from the Chiefs Radio Network begins at 6pm, kickoff at 715pm.
- The Mount Marty Lancers football team lost on the road on Saturday to Hastings College, 45-20. This brings the MMU football team’s record to 1-1 on the season. This upcoming Saturday, the Lancers will have their home opener. Mount Marty will kick off against Midland University at Crane Youngworth Field this Saturday at 1 p.m. We will have coverage on KYNT and KYNTV.
- The Mount Marty cross country programs competed at the Herb Blakley Invite over the weekend. The Lancer men finished the 8 K (4.97 miles) with a team score of fourth place. The Lancers were led by Brian Santiago with a 6th place finish and a time of 27:57. The Lancer women did not have a team score in their 5 K (3.11 miles), but the highest individual placing went to Kiah Trainor. Kiah finished in 14th place with a time of 22:11. Next for both teams is the Briar Cliff Invite on October first.
- The Lancer volleyball team lost to Hastings college in four sets on Saturday. The Lancers are now 5-4 on the season, and 1-1 in GPAC play. Mount Marty will travel to York College tomorrow for a non-conference matchup at 6 p.m. then return home for a Wednesday evening matchup with the College of Saint Mary at 7:30 p.m. in the Cimpl arena.
- Mount Marty men’s soccer remains undefeated on the season after a 10-0 win over Trinity Bible College on Saturday. Mount Marty will travel to Doane University Wednesday evening for a 7:15 p.m. start.
- Mount Marty men’s golf is set to begin the Siouxland Invitational today. This is a two-day contest that will tee off in Sioux Center, Iowa today, and conclude in Orange City, Iowa tomorrow.