- The Yankton Bucks began their 2022 varsity football season with a 45-6 victory over Mitchell on Friday night.
The Bucks were led by QB Rugby Ryken, who went 13-19 for 147 yards and four touchdowns through the air. Leading the ground attack for Yankton was Gavin Swanson, who collected 92 rushing yards and a touchdown. Tyler Sohler didn’t lead Yankton in receiving yards but did collect two touchdown passes in the game. The Bucks defense kept Mitchell’s defense in low gear the majority of the game, putting relentless pressure on Mitchell’s starting QB Treyson Schulz, amassing a sack from Cody Oswald and Charlie Foote, and an interception form Rayner Roig. Yankton, now (1-0), travels west to Lyle Hare Stadium in Spearfish to face off against the (0-1) Spartans. You can catch the action on KYNT and KYNTV platforms with Josh Boelter and the voice of Yankton Bucks Football, Bryce Ladwig. Pregame coverage begins at 6pm CT, kickoff at 7pm CT.
Other Area Scores from Friday night:
Avon 52, Burke 6
Gayville-Volin 26, Colome 20
Bon Homme 46, Kimball/White Lake 0
Dakota Valley 15, Vermillion 3
Wynot 28, Hartington-Newcastle 20
Cedar Catholic 50, Tekamah-Herman 8
Crofton 42, Summerland 20
Bloomfield 52, Winside 16
Wausa 32, St. Mary’s 20
- Yankton Bucks and Gazelles Soccer hosted Spearfish at Crane-Youngworth Saturday afternoon, and the Bucks secured a 2-2 draw, while the Gazelles fell 1-0. The Bucks (3-2-1) and Gazelles (1-5) now prepare to host rival Sioux Falls O’Gorman Thursday afternoon at Crane-Youngworth Field, beginning with the Gazelles at 4pm. You can catch the action live on KYNT and KYNTV with KYNT’s Josh Boelter and Brayden Butler, pregame coverage begins at 330pm.
- Yankton Gazelles Volleyball was in action Saturday afternoon in Norfolk, NE, going 1-3 in the tournament, defeating South Sioux City, but falling to Kearney, Norfolk and Dakota Valley. The Gazelles, now (0-2 Class AA, 1-5 overall) travels to (2-0) Harrisburg for a 7pm first serve.
- Yankton Gazelles Tennis went 2-1 at the Brookings Hillcrest Jamboree over the weekend, defeating Brookings 8-1, Harrisburg 6-3, and Huron 6-3 but falling to Aberdeen Central 5-4. Gazelles Tennis now travels to McKennan Park in Sioux Falls tomorrow evening for a Sioux Falls O’Gorman triangular, first serve 11am with Yankton facing off against Brandon Valley.
- The South Dakota Coyotes volleyball team held off a comeback from the Missouri Tigers for a 25-15, 25-22, 16-25, 21-25, 15-13 victory at the Sanford Coyote Sports Center Sunday to wrap up the Coyote Invitational yesterday. The victory makes Coyotes head coach Leanne Williamson the winningest coach in USD history. The Coyotes look to continue their season at the Borderland Invitational in El Paso, Texas this weekend, they will take on Portland State, New Mexico, and UTEP.
- The Mount Marty Lancers Men’s golf team finished in 5th at the MMU Invite on Friday. The Lancers hosted eight teams at Fox Run Golf Course in Yankton on Thursday, then finished up on Friday at the Hillcrest Country Club.
|Ted Bengston (SO/Hartington, NE)||76||80||156||T12|
|Bennett Cassens (FR/Faulkton, SD)||78||79||157||14|
|Reid Hansen (FR/Wall, SD)||81||83||164||T27|
|Carson Pedersen (FR/Hamlin, SD)||84||83||167||T32|
|Jimmy Cunningham (SO/Yankton, SD)||77||91||168||T35|
|Jackson Faber (SR/Brandon, SD)||87||87||174||43|
|Trey Vande Kop (SO/Rock Rapids, IA)||100||94||194||49|
Next up, Mount Marty will travel to Lincoln, NE to compete in the Blue River Classic held at the Highlands Golf Course.
- The Lancer soccer programs return to Crane Youngworth Field this afternoon for another mens/womens doubleheader. The Lancer women, after starting the season 0-0-1, will play first against Buena Vista University at 5 p.m. The Lancer men, who are 1-0-1 on the season, will play Buena Vista University immediately following the conclusion of the women’s contest.