- South Dakota State turned in a strong second half Saturday afternoon to down Villanova 35-21, and return to the Football Championship Subdivision semifinals for the fourth time in five seasons. The Jackrabbits, who tied a single-season school record for victories, improved to 11-3 overall and will travel to #8 Montana State at 1pm on Saturday. SDSU Head Coach John Stiegelmeier wasn’t focused on the x’s and o’s in the postgame, but rather how proud he is of his team.
STIEG: 15 SECONDS
SDSU also made semifinal appearances in 2017, 2018 and during the 2020-21 spring season.
- Xavier Fuller scored six of his team-high 20 points in overtime to lead South Dakota to a 76-71 win against Northern Arizona Saturday in non-conference play inside the Sanford Coyote Sports Center. South Dakota (6-4) stayed perfect at home in five games. This was the first game of a season-long, four-game home stand that continues Wednesday night against Bellarmine. The start of Summit League play follows.
- A buzzer beater 3-point shot from Baylor Scheierman sealed South Dakota State’s first win over a Pac-12 opponent in men’s basketball since 2011 in a 77-74 victory over Washington State (7-3) in Spokane Arena. The Jackrabbits (9-3) shot 53.8% from the field and 63% from beyond the arc and outrebounded their opponent 36-34. The team also had 31 points off the bench and 30 points in the paint. The Jacks now prepare to travel to Missouri State for a 730pm tipoff this Wednesday.
- South Dakota State women’s basketball took a 79-73 loss to Kansas State Saturday afternoon at Frost Arena. The Jackrabbits overcame an early 18-3 deficit to lead by as many as eight points in the third quarter before falling to the Wildcats. SDSU will host Dakota Wesleyan Wednesday night in the final game before Summit League action starts next week.
- The first full weekend of boys high school basketball tipped off over the weekend, despite some teams not playing due to weather. The top five teams in the preseason poll all successfully earned their ranking as…
#1 Sioux Falls Roosevelt defeated Sioux Falls Jefferson 64-59
#2 O’Gorman defeated Brandon Valley 46-35
#3 Sioux Falls Washington was idle, as well as #4 Sioux Falls Lincoln
#5 Aberdeen Central defeated Rapid City Central 58-51
- The Yankton Bucks will finally get a chance to begin their basketball season tomorrow as the Bucks host #3 ranked Sioux Falls Washington at the Summit Activities Center. You can catch the action live on KYNT and KYNTV with Bryce Ladwig. Pregame begins at 630/tipoff at 7.
- The Gazelles basketball squad prepare to travel to #1 ranked Sioux Falls Washington tomorrow, looking for their first victory of the season. Game begins at 7pm, and Bryce Ladwig will provide continued updates on the action during the Bucks broadcast.
- The 2021-22 indoor track and field season is officially underway and the Lancers competed in the two-day Early Bird Meet over the weekend. It was a good meet for the Lancers, with four school records being set and eleven national qualifiers.
• Marcus Jnofinn – 60m dash National Qualifier, New School Record 6.88, 8th in the NAIA
• Mason Schlies – Heptathlon National Qualifier, New School Record 4877, 2nd in the NAIA
• Nathan Simons – 600m Run National Qualifier, New School Record 1:21.2, 2nd in the NAIA
• Zander Widener and Lyndon Harrison both broke the 60m Hurdle School record and ran a time of 8.57
• Seth Wiebelhaus – Heptathlon National Qualifier, 3rd in the NAIA
• Ashinee George – Pentathlon National Qualifier, 7th in the NAIA
• Men’s 4×4 Relay – Donovan Breckenridge, Taven McKee, Jesse Van Hemert, Nathan Simmons, National Qualifier, 1st in the NAIA
• Donovan Breckenridge- 400m Dash National Qualifier, 3rd in the NAIA
The Lancer basketball teams competed at home over the weekend as the Jimmies of Jamestown came to the Cimpl Arena. Jamestown got off to a quick start in both contests and the Lancers fell twice on Saturday. The final score for the women was 73-46 (1-10), and the men fell 83-51 (3-13).