- The Gazelles look to enter the win column after an 0-2 start, and the Bucks tipoff their basketball season tomorrow vs ESD opponent Harrisburg at the Summit Activities Center. The Bucks are coming off four straight trips to the AA State Tournament where they accomplished earning the #1 overall seed before having their tournament appearance cancelled due to the pandemic, a 4th place finish, a 3rd place finish, and a state title. With the departure of six year varsity starter and three-time South Dakota Gatorade Player of the Year Matthew Mors, the team makeup will look drastically different, but Bucks Head Coach Chris Haynes says the team is embracing that fact.
You can listen to the double-header action live on all KYNT audio platforms as well as on KYNTV with the voice of Yankton athletics, Bryce Ladwig. Pregame coverage begins at 530pm, tipoff at 6pm.
- Gazelles Gymnastics prepares to travel north today for a varsity quad vs host Mitchell, as well as O’Gorman and Pierre. The meet begins at 5pm.
- Yankton Wrestling (1-7), hosts Vermillion and Dakota Valley in a triangular today. Start time is 5 pm at the Summit Activities Center.
- South Dakota State Football knocked off No. 4 seed Sacramento State 24-19 last week in the FCS playoffs. The Jackrabbits jumped out to a 24-0 lead and the Hornets didn’t score until they kicked a field goal as time expired in the first half. Sacramento State then shut out South Dakota State in the second half and scored 19 unanswered points to cut the deficit to one possession, but it couldn’t pull off the come-from-behind win. South Dakota State Coach John Stiegelmeier says last week was a chance to learn. State will travel to Villanova in the quarterfinal round this Saturday for a 1pm kickoff.
- The Mount Marty Lancers Basketball teams traveled to Seward, Nebraska last night for a matchup with Concordia University. The Lancer women got off to a slow start and Concordia jumped out to a 33-5 lead at the end of the first quarter. The Lancers outscored the Bulldogs in two of the next three quarters but could not overcome that first quarter deficit. Mount Marty lost 88-53 and fell to 1-9 on the season.
- The Lancer men entered the game with Concordia in the midst of a 10-game losing streak. Mount Marty jumped off to a quick start but Concordia went on a run to end the half up by 14. Thanks to 43 combined points from Tyrell Harper and Elijah Pappas (Pap-pass) the Lancers were able to cut the Bulldog lead down to two points with 8 minutes left, but then Concordia went on heavy run in the final minutes to take an 87-72 victory. The Lancers have fallen to 3-12 on the season.
- Next up for both teams is a Saturday afternoon matchup with Jamestown University at the Cimpl Arena. The women will play first at 2pm with the men’s game to follow. All coverage on KYNT, and KYNTV.