- Yankton Bucks football took the field under lights at Crane-Youngworth Field Friday night, securing a 41-2 victory over the visiting Huron Tigers. Both teams started slow offensively, exchanging punts and penalties, a sure-fire sign of nerves to begin the season. However, Yankton would settle into an offensive groove in the 2nd quarter, delivering two touchdowns in the air from the right arm of QB Rugby Ryken. The first was a 55-yard completed score to Tyler Sohler. The second touchdown of the quarter was a lobbed pass into Cody Oswald in the back of the endzone. Yankton also controlled the running attack, outpacing the Tigers on the ground 182-21. Gavin Swanson made the most of his debut as a starting varsity player, stomping his way to a 15-yard score in the 3rd. Also scoring for Yankton was the speedy running back Austin Gobel in a sweep play, and Cameron Zahrbock with a 50/50 ball at the back pylon. Yankton now prepares for its longest road trip of the regular season, traveling north to Aberdeen Friday to take on Aberdeen Central, a renewed rivalry after Aberdeen dropped to the AA class this past offseason. Kickoff is at 7pm, catch the pregame and the action on KYNT radio as well as KYTNTV on all platforms. Visit KYNT1450.com to learn how to watch!
- Other area football teams were in action Friday night:
Bon Homme was shut out on the road at Chester Area 43-0
Viborg-Hurley defeated Deubrook Area on the road 36-6
Hartington-Cedar Catholic defeated O’Neil at home 26-0
Hartington-Newcastle defeated Randolph at home 68-0
Crofton defeated Valentine road 51-6
- Both Yankton soccer squads traveled to west river over the weekend for two matchups in two days, versus both Douglas and Spearfish. Friday, Brie Luken recorded two goals and three assists to lead the Gazelles to an 8-0 rout of Douglas, while the Bucks followed suit, shutting out Douglas 10-0. In the Spearfish matchup, the Gazelles edged out the victory 2-1, and were led by Cora Schurman and Keira Christ The Bucks again followed suit, defeating Spearfish 5-2. The Gazelles are now 2-3 on the year, while the Bucks are 4-0-1. Both the Gazelles and Bucks travel to rival Sioux Falls O’Gorman Thursday evening.
- The Yankton Bucks put two runners in the top five of the varsity boys’ race of the O’Gorman Invitational cross country meet, held Friday in Sioux Falls. Yankton’s Dylan Payer finished second in the 4,000 meter with a (13:42.79), while Yankton’s Zach Fedde finished fifth with a (14:05.79). Harrisburg’s Soren Weeg won the boys’ 4,000-meter varsity race in 13:28.76. team points were kept.
- The Yankton Gazelles went 2-1 in a girls’ tennis quadrangular on Friday in Brookings. Yankton rolled past host Brookings 9-0, and Harrisburg edged Yankton 5-4.
- The Mount Marty women and men soccer squads were in action Saturday afternoon at Crane-Youngworth Field, with the women falling to the visiting Waldorf 3-0 in the first game of the women/men’s double-header, and the men settling for a 0-0 tie, a score resulting from 2 overtimes. The Lancer men and women look for their first victories of the season Wednesday, facing off against Buena Vista in a double-header on the road beginning at 5pm.
- The Gazelles volleyball squad traveled south to Nebraska Saturday for tournament action. Yankton fell to Columbus 25-12, 25-21 in the third-place match of the Norfolk Volleyball Tournament. The Gazelles went 2-2 on the day, including 2-1 in pool play. In pool play, Yankton beat Kearney 23-25, 26-24, 25-22; and South Sioux City 25-14, 25-18. Host Norfolk downed the Gazelles 20-25, 25-14, 25-21. Yankton, now 2-4, hosts Harrisburg on Tuesday. Catch that matchup live on all KYNT radio platforms, as well as K-Y-N-T-V with KYNT Sports Director, Bryce Ladwig. Pregame begins at 630pm.